Last year, I realized I didn’t have “Thanksgiving music.” I had Easter and Christmas music to play seasonally, but nothing for Thanksgiving. So, I remembered the hymns that rolled around every November when I was a child and started searching. I found CDs that were close to what I was looking for.
This is the second year I’ve enjoyed listening to these hymns as Thanksgiving approaches, so I made a list of hymns that I remember from childhood and link them for you to enjoy.
Favorite Thanksgiving Hymns
I found different music styles. I hope I’ve found some you’re interested in. Here’s some of my favorite Thanksgiving hymns.
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Fernando Ortega)
Come Ye Thankful People, Come (Craig Duncan – see NOTES)
Faith of Our Fathers (4Him)
For the Beauty of the Earth (A strings music video from Ouachita Hills College)
Great Is Thy Faithfulness (Carrie Underwood and CeCe WInans)
Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee (Collin Raye)
Now Thank We All Our God (Congregational singing at Grace Community Church, California)
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (Fernando Ortega)
Simple Gifts (Rackensack Folklore Society)
This Is My Father’s World (Praise Baby Collection)
We Gather Together (lockdown ensemble)
We Plow the Fields and Scatter (Organ and choir)
When Morning Gilds the Skies (Organ and choir of St. Paul’s Cathedral, London)
We Gather Together (see NOTES)
Pin me, please
- Two of the CDs I bought were piano music. I was looking for a choral CD for the lyrics, but have enjoyed these all the same. The words are still in my head.
- “We Give Thanks” by Christopher Phillips
- “We Gather Together” by Craig Duncan
- Listen to a playlist of this album on YouTube
- I just found extensive playlists of hundreds of hymns, not just Thanksgiving. I’ll have to work my way through these!
- Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash