An enormous planet, HD 106906 b, made the news this week. Slate.com refers to it as the “impossible planet” in this video.
According to NBC News:
An enormous alien planet — one that is 11 times more massive than Jupiter — was discovered in the most distant orbit yet found around a single parent star…
HD 106906 b… circles its star at a distance that is 650 times the average distance between the Earth and the sun. The existence of such a massive and distantly orbiting planet raises new questions about how these bizarre worlds are formed.
… it is thought that planets that orbit close to their parent star, such as Earth, began as small, asteroid-type bodies that clumped together in the primordial disk of gas and dust around the burgeoning star. Yet, this process operates too slowly to explain how giant planets form far away from their star…
God’s Account of Creation Week
This giant planet is impossible with popular planetary formation theory, but God explains in Genesis 1:1 – 2:4 that:
- Light was formed on the first day and stars, the Sun included, were formed on the fourth day (also probably all planets, comets, etc.)
- Space was created on the second day, before the earth, and then God filled our atmosphere with life on the fifth day
- He created Earth, the lands and the seas, on the third day and covered it with vegetation before the Sun was formed the next day
- God created fish on the fifth day, too
- Animals, and then Adam and Eve, the first man and woman, were created in God’s image on the sixth day
- God rested and blessed His creation on the seventh day
What Is Possible for God
Does this literal week of seven days for creation seem impossible to you? Providing the perfect home for us on our planet Earth in seven days and creating an “impossible” planet (to remind us of our awesome Creator) was not impossible for God.
What about the virgin birth of Jesus? Perhaps that sounds impossible, too. The virgin birth of Israel’s Messiah was prophesied in Isaiah 7:14 and the fulfillment of this prophecy is recorded in Luke 1: 26 – 38 NLT:
Mary asked the angel [Gabriel, who announced her pregnancy to her], “But how can this happen? I am a virgin.”
The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the baby to be born will be holy, and He will be called the Son of God… For nothing is impossible with God. [emphasis added]…”
What Is Possible for You
And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to Him must believe that God exists and that He rewards those who sincerely seek Him. – Hebrews 11:6 (NLT)
Have you acknowledged that God exists and that He has created you? Would you like to know Him? Read about your part in His story here.
NOTE: The image is an artist’s rendition from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and appears in the NBC news article.