“Every merchant on earth will mourn, because there is no one to buy their goods. There won’t be anyone to buy their gold, silver, jewels, pearls, fine linen, purple cloth, silk, scarlet cloth, sweet-smelling wood, fancy carvings of ivory and wood, as well as things made of bronze, iron, or marble. No one will buy their cinnamon, spices, incense, myrrh, frankincense, wine, olive oil, fine flour, wheat, cattle, sheep, horses, chariots, slaves, and other humans. Babylon, the things your heart desired have all escaped from you. Every luxury and all your glory will be lost forever. You will never get them back.” ~ Revelation 18: 11 – 14 CEV
Unfortunately, slavery has been a part of human history for all time and in all places and, even more unfortunately, many people are unaware that slavery still exists and has grown to monstrous proportions. For instance:
- Thousands of slaves are trafficked into the U.S.A. every year!
- The majority of slavery is sex trafficking.
- For more, see Top Ten Facts about Modern Slavery
I remember learning years ago how widespread human trafficking had become; I was also reading the book of Revelation at the time. I noticed four passages in Revelation where slavery was mentioned matter-of-factly as part of life. (See above and Revelation 6: 14 – 16; 13: 15 – 17; 19: 17 – 19.)
So, as you can see, slavery is prophesied as a part of end-times culture, but we could, and should, still fight it as all people are created in the image of God! (Genesis 1:26)
- How you can be involved today online (use #HumanTrafficking from 9-10 EST for a Twitter chat tonight to learn more).
- Get involved long-term: Free the Slaves, International Justice Mission, and Half the Sky.
- A report from the International Justice Mission on some of their successes for 2011 and planned campaigns for 2012.
- This image was the official medallion of the British Anti-Slavery Movement championed by William Wilberforce in the late 1700s.