“Then the third angel blew his trumpet, and a great star fell from the sky, burning like a torch. It fell on one-third of the rivers and on the springs of water. The name of the star was Bitterness. It made one-third of the water bitter, and many people died from drinking the bitter water.” ~ Revelation 8 : 10 – 11 (NLT)
Like you, I’ve been following the events in Japan and praying for her people.
I’ve also been interested in the nuclear disaster in light of Bible prophecy. Ever since I learned that Chernobyl translates as “wormwood” in Ukranian, I’ve looked at the prophecy of the third trumpet a bit differently. I don’t think Chernobyl was the fulfillment of this prophecy because one-third of the Earth’s fresh water has not been contaminated by radiation, causing many deaths; however, 2000 years ago, when this prophecy was made, God used “wormwood” to catch our attention.
Here’s some similarities between the Revelation 8: 10 – 11 and nuclear contamination:
- Apparently, when reactor four ignited in 1986, it burned like a torch.
- Both Chernobyl and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant disasters contaminated water.
- A BBC medical report about nuclear contamination of tap water.
- An article speculating about the impact of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant leakage on water, briefly mentioning that the effect should be minimal on the ocean.
- The second trumpet prophecy is about the earth’s seas and oceans.
- Read all of Revelation 8.
- A related post on the Sovereign: Meteor and Asteroid in the News Today